Jesus taught the gospel and set the example by the way he lived



Aaron is a sun beam and a Sunbeam. He knew his part for the Primary program the first day he got it. He was ready. Although he's on the wild side sometimes at home, his teachers know him to be among the most reverent in the class, and when the big day came, they sat him in the seat farthest away from them. Naturally. They had Lindsay and Joseph and Katrina to worry about. And don't forget Brooklyn. Aaron would be very well-behaved on his own, at the end of the row. And he was. He said his part flawlessly and Steve and I beamed from the third row on the left. He only knew some of the sign language for "Teach Me to Walk in the Light" and he was behind a beat or two, but that was cute, he was trying. He was making us so proud. Poor Joseph cried through his speaking part because he couldn't see his parents, and Brooklyn stared off into outer space with her mouth open. I'm sure their parents still loved them, and all, but clearly, Aaron was ahead of the curve in terms of Primary program readiness. Not that I'm comparing, just facing the facts. But, alas, the meeting was long, and he IS only four, and oh, about 13 1/2 minutes from the end, the tone started to change in the third row on the left. Our proud smiles faded and Steve and I both sat up straight and tall and tried to catch Aaron's eye to let him know that, no, we aren't supposed to pull our sweaters over our heads while we are singing. Identical raised eyebrows and slight head shakes. No, please don't duck below the rail and pop out over and over again. That piece of hair in your mouth! Where did it come from? Why are you eating it? Oh no, please don't lick the podium, son. Nor should you run your hands along the rail and lick them with flourish. We smiled nervously as people turned around to snicker and share their amused expressions. We sank a little lower in our pew. Oh, darn. The meeting is over? Well, that sure was great. Wow, Aaron! You really knew your part! Run off to class. Don't forget to be reverent.

It was two days later and the bishop walked in as we were finishing up a meeting. He went straight to the primary chorister's husband and congratulated him loudly on the fine job his wife had done with the children's program. I added my praise and compliments and turned to leave. As I walked down the hall, a burst of laughter followed from the room, "ha ha ha.....LICKED THE PODIUM!!.....ha ha ha." I had to smile. That's my Aaron. At least he didn't pick his nose.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ok, a confession to make. I taught Elder's Quorum after the program, and I was making some comments about how blessed we are with the opportunities to serve our families etc., and I thought it might have a good effect if I illustrated with the notion that I was so proud of my son that day, even though he had been LICKING THE PULPIT. So, this probably makes you feel better about the fact that people didn't really notice it when it happened--but maybe doesn't make you feel better about the fact that your husband airs the family's silly laundry for comedic effect in EQ. But you seem to have demonstrated the same pride that I did--"That's my son" etc, even though he licks the pulpit.
Anonymous said…
That was a WONDERFUL story! I've read it several times and will print it to share.
Anonymous said…
cute story em. we have our primary program in a few weeks, and i'll be sure to let you know if brian licks the pulpit. let's be honest, it could definitly happen now that aaron has given him the idea!
Emily said…
Mom, thanks and you really shouldn't.

Angela, everybody's doing it. It's good for building rapport with the audience. Welcome!
Grandma Hyde said…
Emily, you are one talented writer, mom and observer. Keep it up and you'll make us all rich. Of course it helps if you are beautiful, have cute kids, a great husband, and lots of other good relatives. Took me 4 hours to figure out how to get into the blog site which your mom alerted me to, but guess I did, since it let me in the next time I tried.. Love you.
Emily said…
Elinor, I do have the best relatives, but I don't know about that other stuff you said. I'm glad you found it.
Emily said…
Oh wait, I mean, my kids are cute and my husband is wonderful. That stuff is true.
Carly said…
Wow. That sure beats my sunbeam's Primary Program story. All he did was sit there. No licking of any kind. I'm so jealous.
Suzie Petunia said…
Our program is next Sunday, and now that I'm in the primary presidency I'm personally responsible for the children who lick the podium and whatnot. Now I kind of hope someone DOES. If the kids didn't do something to embarass their parents during the program then it wouldn't be nearly as cute.

Popular posts from this blog

Look what the storm blew in

It's a revelation thing

I figured out a title: This post is more about race than it is about politics