Jambo and digressive story









Our Kenyan friends performed at BYU today in the hot sun. They were awesome.

After the show and our goodbyes, my kids and I stopped by the Museum of Art for a light late lunch in the Cafe. We got our tray and took it to the cashier, only to realize that the heavy bag on my shoulder was my camera case, and not my purse. No money whatsoever. Neither the student cashier nor I knew how to proceed. I promised her I would bring back the money; she seemed doubtful and insisted she needed it in the next 20 minutes before they closed. So, after she begged me not to cause "any conflict" by which she meant, "do not stiff me out of this $10.30 because my supervisor will be mad at me if I don't balance out the register", I took the food, made the boys promise to sit tight and eat (read: do not chase each other around the Museum of Art), and I took Norah and the expensive camera (read: the things I didn't want to get taken by a stranger {read: my boys will need therapy when they read this in 10 years}) and ran to the ASB where Steve was in his annual performance review/raise meeting with his boss. Yes, I did barge into their meeting and ask Steve for his wallet. No, it didn't seem to affect his review. I paid the very relieved cashier who really looked like she was afraid of supervisory retribution for letting me take the unpaid-for food and thanked me for coming back. (Did she think I was lying?) The boys had actually stayed at the table, just as they said they would. No stranger had taken them, and Isaac's lick residue on the tops of the salt and pepper shakers seemed to be the only damage done in my absence. (Ew!)

Regarding the adorable Kenyan boys: The director of the choir is still looking for host families in the Salt Lake area for August 17-21. If any of y'all are interested, email her: yvonne@educatethekids.com. I can pretty much guarantee a really great experience. Go here to learn more about why they're here and what they're doing.

After getting to know these sweet boys these last few days, Steve and I were both very disheartened and saddened to read about what life is like in their hometown. The choir is on a fundraising tour to support the schools and orphanage that have been established in their region, thanks to a Scottish couple who went there on vacation and saw a need, so they set about to make a change. I've become a fan of their efforts.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Darling children, all! I would love to hear them. What a wonderful experience for your kids. Did you find your purse? AG
Neil and Diana said…
Good God, what a horrid story on the cnn site. I am glad that your new friends could spend their time in the U.S. with your family. Where is your purse??
Emily said…
I hadn't brought my purse. It was at home.
Anonymous said…
I told my boss it was all planned that you and our youngest child would barge into the performance review, begging for money, so he'd give us a bigger raise. Maybe some tears would have been nice.
Nancy said…
good thing Steve works at BYU or you would have been in trouble. That is really cool that you hosted those African children, probably a great experience for the kids.

Popular posts from this blog

Look what the storm blew in

It's a revelation thing

Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?