Heavy on the nonfiction

Sometimes the life of a hermit or recluse is really, really appealing to me. If I could do that, I would become a good reader and read everything. I used to be a great reader but I'm not anymore and it's one of the disappointments of my adulthood.

Steve and I are in a book club with good friends through his work. Attorneys and homemakers all, similar ages and interests, and stations in life. Plus a professorial couple thrown in for a little academic clout. We have hordes of children between us, all around the same age, same elementary and middle schools. They are good people.

Because I like lists, this is what we are reading this year:

The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball
Increase In Learning by David Bednar
Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman
The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson
The Mormon Image In The American Mind by J.B. Haws
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Poor Economics by Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo

Comments

Emily said…
And that's not how I formatted this post. Oh well.
abby said…
i'm kind of a hermit and it's a nice lifestyle. i'm interested in a few of those books (not Poor Economics- gag), so rate them on Goodreads when you finish!
Sarah said…
I just gave Bill Bryson's At Home... to Mark for Christmas. In part, because I want to read it too.
I am looking forward to your goodreads reviews.
Jennifer said…
Every one of those books sounds so interesting to me. Esp. the Mormon Image and At Home one (Talk about being a hermit--I've never heard of either of those.) And you should add Wallace Stegner's "Crossing to Safety" to your list. It's about young couples in academic circles who remain friends throughout their lives. It's also pretty much my favorite book ever. I know you'd love it. I'm happy for you to be in such a cool book group. Being in one is the only thing that keeps me reading. And I want to hear your reviews, too! I like reading anything you write.
Emily said…
Jen, you are the best commenter friend.

The Mormon Image hasn't come out yet. Our neighbor, a new religion professor, wrote it and it should be out this summer. We thought it would be fun to have him come to the book club and talk about it with us. And, we read Crossing To Safety last year in our inaugural year! It was a perfect book to read and I really loved it.
Heidi said…
Good for you for being such a good reader. Andrew loves to read, but I just can't get into it.

Andrew read Unbroken and absolutely loved it. He said it's one of the best books he ever read.

I love your blog posts - I hope you keep it up!
Me said…
Being in a book club with you would definitely one of life's simple pleasures. That list looks great. It has been far too long. I think of you often.
Emily said…
Jeanene, thanks. That just made my night. Hope you're well.

Popular posts from this blog

Look what the storm blew in

It's a revelation thing

Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?