Part three and almost done

A few minutes at an airport pay phone yielded heaven sent weekend hosts: a family in the church in Virginia who could not have been more gracious. 

Sure, you can stay with us. When we were in college, we did stuff like this, too. Here are the directions to our house and when you get to the end of the Metro line, call and I'll pick you up to drive you the rest of the way. You can have the entire basement to yourselves. We'll feed you many meals, including Sunday dinner and every breakfast. Want to take a drive? Here are the keys to our Suburu.

They were fabulous.

I don't remember one single thing about the Students for International Development conference, except that we hooked up with some people from it to eat at an Ethiopian restaurant one night. It was fun and messy.

I do remember that, for whatever reason, Cassie and her boyfriend deemed it prudent to go home early -- as in, catch the next flight home -- a few days into our trip. I remember it being in the middle of the night or early in the morning and without so much as a "thank you, we're leaving, goodbye" to our hosts. I remember being mortified by their rudeness and lamely trying to apologize for them the next morning at breakfast. I spent money I did not have to buy an extraordinarily nice flower bouquet for this wonderful family when we were leaving to try to express "thank you, goodbye, I recognize that what our friends did was inexcusably bad form."

I remember the awkwafication between me and quiet, brooding, I-think-he-likes-me Nate ramped up a hundredfold all of a sudden due to our new status of being left alone together on this trip that wasn't our idea, staying with people we didn't know who had every reason to be bugged. Did I mention that he was a painful conversationalist?

Comments

pepper said…
I so hope Cassie, her boyfriend, Nate, and the gracious family are all reading. I want to see their comments. Sounds like a plot for a tv show.
Jennifer said…
Nothing worse than trying to make up for anothers rudeness--it's akin to staring at your hymnbook while someone bears an unbelievably inappropriate testimony. Everybody loses. And didn't they violate some Honor Code sub-rule by taking off in the middle of the night together? Kudos to you for the flowers. They probably cost you a month's rent and it hurt to pay for them, but the more expensive, the better the apology. We all know how it works.

Kidding aside, that really is one nice family.

So what I really want to know is how you let Nate down gently. I'm sure you were well-rehearsed in that regard, being the catch that you were/are.

I am loving this story. Please tell me there's at least three more Parts.
Jennifer said…
I mean "there are" at least three more Parts. Need to correct that. Forgot I was commenting to a Godfrey. :)
amyegodfrey said…
Jenny, I love all your comments! Emily tells a good story, doesn't she?

Popular posts from this blog

Look what the storm blew in

It's a revelation thing

Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?