Clog fog blog

Here is a quick accounting of every half credit PE or Dance class I have taken since starting college:

Fitness For Living: take measurements of your body fat, don't really go to class, I can't remember what else
A-

Beginning Folk Dance: learn some Hungarian/Russian/Irish dances, have lots of fun
A-

Beginning Bowling: bowl every day, learn how to score bowling, bowl bowl bowl, flirt with Bowling John who rejects your subtle attempts to get him to ask you out and then when you see him next year on the first day of your political science class and you smile warmly and sit next to him he motions behind his back for his friend to rescue him and his friend says, "John, that's a nice ring you have on your finger!" and you say, "Oh, you got married?" embarassedly and never sit by him again, and mostly just bowl all the time
A

Ethnic Dance (Polynesian): do the hula, shake your hips, do the Tongan rope/ball things
B+

Beginning Racquetball: sign up for this class with your boyfriend who wanted to marry you, then break up with him just before the semester starts and do not make eye contact or talk to each other in this class, ever, even though there are only like 20 people in the class, learn the rules, play the game, never get very good because your arm strength is kind of lame
A

Jogging: jog for an hour a week, unless you want to walk or hike or swim or bike or pretty much anything else aerobic because the teacher didn't care, don't go to class all that much, throw out your back and don't do anything for a week, don't get very good at jogging
A


________________

When my friend JaNae and I signed up for clogging this semester, her niece said, "You did what? I got a D- in that class." She went to every class, she practiced, she sought special help from her teacher. Dee minus. What, how is that possible?

The first three classes were easy peasy. We spent whole classes learning the most basic of steps. Then I went to Disneyland and missed a class. Tonight was my first class since being back and, um, you can call me Joey Tribiani.






All of a sudden we're learning a whole dance routine with steps from out of nowhere, that I certainly have never been taught. It's all double double rock kick hold cowboy double back double up triple kick chug.

I was very much in a daze the last 20 minutes of class. A clog fog. Help. (Sarah?)

Comments

AmyJune said…
Oh emily, thanks for a trip down memory lane? Can you remember my body fat percentage from that STUPID fitness for life class????
Neil and Diana said…
You went to Disneyland?
lys said…
Wow, you took a lot of PE classes in college. I only took the requisite Fitness for Life. You are such an overachiever.
Sarah said…
oh, I would SO love to be there taking clogging with you! Hang in there. It will get better. Ask your teacher for the dance on paper. And then practice with one of your friends that didn't miss. Good luck!
abby said…
i owe you an email. but the bowling story made me laugh. and thoughts of clogging made me smile. what is the song you're dancing to? ours was "crazy in love." and it was indeed crazy.
Emily said…
Diana, we did! A quick trip last week. Remember I asked Neil if he wanted to come with us? I asked you, too, but you said you had school and work.

Abby, did you take this class? I didn't know that.

Sarah, good idea.

Amy, your (completely wrong) body fat percentage from that class never fails to make me laugh, at the ridiculousness of it.

Alyssa, an overachiever I am not, if you'll notice the less-than-A's.
pepper said…
I still get frustrated that I got a B in that Polynesian Dance Class. We went to every class, tried every dance, and I don't even know why we got B's. So, a D- would just kill me. I would be so mad. Good luck. I hope the trip to California doesn't ruin your GPA...
Steve said…
It's fun to watch Emily clogging everywhere when she walks around the house.

Steve
amyegodfrey said…
I love to watch clogging. I'd like to try it, too. Will you have a recital? This was a fun post.
pam said…
I guess if you are clogging around the house, your back is OK now. That's a big relief.
Anonymous said…
My fitness for life teacher made us stand in front of a mirror naked and jump. it was seriously an assignment and we had to report which areas needed improvement/toning. It did wonders for my self esteem. lovely. luckily we could do it in private, at home, in our apartment where we lived with 5 other girls. lots of privacy there...my stomach hurts thinking about this experience.
but i loved this post emily. it made me laugh a lot. you should have brandi come over and give you lessons. she was semi-pro back in the day, you know...she even danced at a jazz game:)to We Are Family.
Emily said…
Nat, were you at BYU? Did I know this? Did we see each other? I'm sorry if we didn't and I'm also sorry if we did and I don't remember. I have memory issues.
Anonymous said…
Emily! You don't remember? we hung out all the time. you mentored me...
Rob & Sarah said…
haha, I love this post! I can totally picture you clogging around your house. And I really love your appreciation of Friends. It reminds me of my own :) hope life is treating you well! it seems like it!
brandi said…
ha ha- your making me laugh. seriously, i am quite an outstanding clogger. i will support your efforts as best i can. you will never ever -ever be as good as me though;)

Popular posts from this blog

Look what the storm blew in

Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?

What can brown do for you?