Panicked

I sat down at the computer to type up the PTSA minutes. Isaac was playing happily in his room. After 30 minutes or so, I thought it seemed kind of quiet, so I called out to him. No answer.

I went in his room--he wasn't there. So I started looking for him, calling out his name, in all the rooms in the house. Our house just isn't that big, so I quickly discovered that he wasn't in any of the rooms in our house. I checked outside, even though all doors leading outside were locked. I checked closets, under beds, under blankets and bedding. I looked in the garage. I checked everywhere again, and a third time. I even opened the dryer door, in a desperate attempt to find my child. By this time, I was imagining the worst and getting upset and praying and playing out in my mind the call to Stephen at work that I lost our son and he needed to come home. I was about to enlist the neighbor's help.

ISAAC!!! Where are you?

About 10 minutes of this horror passed before I pushed aside the shirts in my closet and saw two beautiful little feet behind them. He had fallen asleep behind my clothes in my closet, something he has NEVER even come close to doing before. I grabbed him and gave him a big hug and held him close, and moved him out onto the couch.

He's still sleeping peacefully, through it all.

Comments

amyegodfrey said…
That is a very scary story. There's no panic like not being able to find a child.
Suzie Petunia said…
I wish I didn't know that feeling so well! It is THE WORST feeling in the world! I am so glad it ended so sweetly. But I was hoping it ended with you finding Isaac safe and sound AND going into labor.
Been there, done that, got the souvenir ulcer!

Hey, good luck on the big "Labor Day!" Norah is a wonderful name, one of my all time favorites along with Louisa, Elana, and Marisol. For a few laughs you should check out this page.

Baby's Named A Bad, Bad Thing!
Anonymous said…
I could be making this up, but for some reason I think Austin did that...in the log pile in the back yard? But, as I said, that could be a complete fabrication. If he was young enough to fall asleep in the log pile, I'd have been young enough to make that up and decide it was real. We'll need outside confirmation.
Kelly(M&M) said…
Hi Emily,

You don't know me, but I am a friend of Suzie Petunia's. I just had to comment on this one because the exact same thing happened to me with my almost 2 year old daughter(my Emily) last week. It was the scariest thing I have ever had happen, and I DID enlist the neighbor, but by the time she came over, I had found my dear daughter in the closet. I am glad to know I am not the only one. You also described it much more eloquently than I did. :-) Thanks for letting me say hello.

Popular posts from this blog

Look what the storm blew in

It's a revelation thing

Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?